How To Place Furniture In Living Room (All Questions Answered)
You may be moving in or refreshing your home and wondering how to place furniture in living room. No matter the size and shape – there is a formula!
In this post, we will answer how to arrange living room furniture with tv and fireplace. We will also go over how to arrange furniture in an awkward living room and how to fit your furniture.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING I MAY RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU.
living room layout ideas
How To Place Furniture In Living Room
Placing furniture in your living room can be a bit tricky, as it depends on several factors such as the size of the room, the shape of the room, the existing decor, and your personal preferences.
However, here are some general tips that can help you with furniture placement in your living room:
- Start with a focal point: Identify the focal point of your living room, such as a fireplace, a TV, or a large window. This will help you determine where to place your furniture.
- Create a conversation area: Arrange your furniture in a way that promotes conversation and social interaction. Typically, this involves placing a sofa and a couple of chairs facing each other.
- Consider the flow of traffic: Make sure to leave enough space between furniture pieces to allow for easy movement around the room. Avoid placing furniture in a way that blocks doorways or walkways.
- Choose the right size furniture: Make sure the size of your furniture is proportional to the size of your room. Oversized furniture can make a small room feel cramped, while small furniture can get lost in a large room.
- Add accent pieces: Consider adding accent pieces such as rugs, throw pillows, and artwork to tie the room together and add visual interest.
- Experiment with different layouts: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different furniture layouts until you find one that works for you. You can always make adjustments as needed.
Remember, there is no one “right” way to place furniture in a living room. It ultimately comes down to your personal preferences and the needs of your space.
When Arranging Living Room Furniture: Measure your space
Before you start placing furniture, it’s important to measure your living room to determine what size and scale of furniture will fit in the space. Consider factors such as the height and width of doorways, windows, and any other architectural features that may affect the layout of your furniture.
When Arranging Living Room Furniture: Create A Floor Plan
Once you have measured your space, create a floor plan to help you visualize different furniture arrangements. There are many free online tools available that can help you create a digital floor plan, or you can simply sketch out a rough layout on paper.
When Arranging Living Room Furniture: Start With A Focal Point
As mentioned earlier, the focal point of your living room should be the starting point for furniture placement. Arrange your furniture in a way that emphasizes the focal point, whether it’s a fireplace, a large window, or a piece of artwork.
When Arranging Living Room Furniture: Consider Traffic Flow
When placing furniture in your living room, it’s important to consider the flow of foot traffic. Make sure there is enough space for people to move around the room freely without bumping into furniture.
When Arranging Living Room Furniture: Create Conversation Area(s)
One of the main functions of a living room is to provide a space for socializing and entertaining guests. To create conversation areas, arrange seating in a way that encourages face-to-face interaction. For example, place a sofa and two chairs around a coffee table to create a cozy seating area.
When Arranging Living Room Furniture: Balance The Room
Balance is key when it comes to furniture placement. Arrange furniture in a way that creates a sense of symmetry and balance throughout the room. For example, place two identical armchairs on either side of a fireplace to create a symmetrical focal point.
When Arranging Living Room Furniture: Save Space For Accessories
Create space for your rugs, throw pillows, and other accessories that can help tie the room together. Use these elements to add pops of color and texture for visual interest.
living room layout ideas
How To Arrange Living Room Furniture With TV
Arranging furniture in a living room with a TV can be challenging, as you want to create a comfortable seating area that also allows for easy viewing of the TV.
Here are some tips to help you arrange your living room furniture with a TV:
- Choose the right spot for the TV: Start by deciding where to place the TV in the room. Ideally, it should be at eye level when seated, and not too close or too far away from the seating area.
- Create a focal point around the TV: Once you have placed the TV, arrange your furniture around it to create a focal point. The most common layout is to place a sofa directly facing the TV, with additional seating on either side.
- Optimize seating arrangements: Make sure the seating arrangements are comfortable and allow for easy viewing of the TV. You can add additional chairs or a loveseat to create a cozy seating area.
- Choose furniture that fits the space: Be mindful of the size of your living room when selecting furniture. Oversized furniture can make a small room feel cramped, while small furniture can get lost in a large room. Consider using a sectional sofa or a pair of chairs to create a more intimate seating area.
- Add storage for media components: Consider adding a media console or cabinet to store your TV and other media components. This can help keep cords and cables tidy and out of sight.
- Don’t forget about lighting: Make sure to include adequate lighting in your living room. This can include floor lamps, table lamps, and even recessed lighting. Consider using dimmer switches to create a more cozy atmosphere.
living room layout ideas
How To Arrange Furniture In An Awkward Living Room
Arranging furniture in an awkward living room can be challenging, but with some creativity and strategic placement, you can make the most of your space.
Here are some tips to help you arrange furniture in an awkward living room:
- Define the function of the space: Before you start arranging furniture, consider the primary function of the room. Will it be used for entertaining, watching TV, or as a workspace? Once you have a clear idea of the function, you can start planning the layout.
- Use rugs to define zones: If your living room is an odd shape, use rugs to define different zones within the room. For example, you could place a large rug under a seating area to create a defined conversation area.
- Consider the traffic flow: Make sure to leave enough space between furniture pieces to allow for easy movement around the room. In an awkward living room, it may be helpful to create a clear path from one end of the room to the other.
- Create a focal point: If your living room has an awkward shape, it can be helpful to create a focal point to draw the eye away from the odd angles. This could be a piece of artwork, a fireplace, or a statement piece of furniture.
- Opt for versatile furniture: In an awkward living room, versatile furniture is key. Look for pieces that can be used in multiple ways, such as a sofa bed or an ottoman that doubles as storage.
- Make use of corners: Don’t overlook the corners of your living room. You can place a corner sofa or a pair of chairs in a corner to create a cozy seating area.
- Experiment with different layouts: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different furniture layouts until you find one that works for you. You may need to try several different arrangements before you find the perfect one.
By following these tips, you can create a functional and stylish living room, even if it has an awkward shape. Remember, the key is to use the space in a way that suits your needs and makes you feel comfortable.
While You’re Here, You May Be Looking For:
Hopefully by now you understand how to place furniture in living room. No matter the size and shape – these proven methods should help you create a cozy living room in no time!
So get creative and enjoy your beautiful and inviting living room!
And if you’re looking for some decorating ideas for your living room, you might be interested in checking out my DIY decorating course that will give you all the information you’d need to know!
Until next Sunday,
When hosting visitors, you want to strike a balance with cute ideas for house guests that will make them feel special, but won’t be too overwhelming.
You may be ready to decorate for valentine’s day but you’ve run into an issue: finding cute valentines decorations ideas that are classy!
Home office essentials in 2023 you MUST HAVE in order to have a productive, inspiring, and not boring work from home space.